This certificate program is designed to provide those in the caring professions with an introduction to the foundational aspects of using empathy in everyday relationships as well as with basic information about the major psychological disorders in order to better recognize when professional help will most likely be needed.
What will I learn in this certificate course?
- Basic empathy techniques including attending, listening, reflection of feelings, and providing feedback.
- Identify the symptoms of major disorders including: depression, bipolar, anxiety disorders, thought disorders, addictions, eating disorders, and dementia.
Certificate Program Description
The purpose of this course is to provide those in the caring profession and others with an introduction to the foundational aspects of using empathy in everyday relationships as well as with basic information about the major psychological disorders in order to better recognize when professional help will most likely be needed.
By the end of this certificate program, participants will be able to:
- Explain effective empathy-building techniques including attending and listening, reflection of feelings, using open questions, and providing feedback.
- Discuss the purpose and advantage of using open-ended questions over close-ended questions.
- Demonstrate effective paraphrasing techniques.
- Identify the symptoms of depression and bipolar
- Explain the stressors that are commonly associated with the development of depression
- Discuss the how manic and depressive episodes are manifested in Bipolar Disorder
- Explain the symptoms of the anxiety disorders.
- Discuss the common stressors associated with the anxiety disorders.
- Identify the difference between obsessive-compulsive disorder and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.
- Describe the different types of hallucinations and identify which are the most common.
- Discuss the different types of delusions.
- Identify the symptoms of schizophrenia.
- Identify key differences between anorexia and bulimia.
- Describe some of the stressors associated with substance use/abuse.
- Discuss the stages of grief that some family members can go through when loved ones have dementia or brain injuries.
- Identify and describe four advanced empathy strategies.
- Discuss potential troubleshooting strategies to utilize when providing empathy.